So as we say goodbye to 2016, many people will be pleased to see the back of it! Without doubt, 2016 was a tricky year. We lost some legends and icons of our youth, starting with David Bowie and ending with George Michael, with Alan Rickman, Leonard Cohen, Prince, Caroline Aherne and Victoria Wood amongst others in between. Not only did we lose some amazing people, but there was so much political unrest too – the Brexit decision, whether you are for or against, caused a huge amount of upset, followed quickly by the unbelievable news that an American reality TV star is to become the next President of the USA. There have been wars, terrorist attacks, refugees fleeing their homelands and turmoil across the world. It’s easy to just think about the bad things that happened, and to allow it to colour our judgement of the year. But was 2016 really that bad?
What about the good things that happened? The great things that happened? And there were lots of them!
- New chemotherapy breakthroughs have increased the 5-year survival for pancreatic cancer from 16% to 27% (and is getting better)
- Scientists figured out how to link robotic limbs with the part of the brain that deals with intent to move so people don’t have to think about how they will move the limb, it can just happen.
- Child mortality is down everywhere and it keeps going down.
- Thanks to the ice bucket challenge the gene responsible for ALS has been found, meaning we are closer to an effective treatment. Let me rephrase that: we are close to getting a treatment for a very bad disease because a lot of people got wet.
- Tiger numbers are growing. And manatees. And pandas.
- Volunteers in India planted 50 million trees in 24 hours.
- 500 elephants were relocated to a better, safer and bigger home.
- We made massive strides in treating and preventing Alzheimers’.
- The ozone layer is repairing itself and all the work we did to get rid of those aerosol chemicals was actually worth it.
- Precision treatments for cancer are hitting clinical trials and WORKING
- Death by heart disease has decreased by 70% in the United States
- 200 strangers attended the funeral of a homeless WW2 veteran with no family
- People survived cancer
- People overcame depression
- LEONARDO DICAPRIO WON AN OSCAR! EVERYONE READING THIS LIVED LONG ENOUGH TO SEE LEO FINALLY GET WHAT HE DESERVED
- There’s a new Harry Potter book
- And a movie.
So you see, when you start really thinking about it, 2016 wasn’t that bad. Bad things happened, of course, but bad things happen every year. It’s the same in our lives. Bad things happen to everyone, but it is how we think about the bad things, and how we deal with them that affects our mental health. If we allow ourselves to dwell only on the negative things that happen, or may happen, it causes our anxiety to increase. If we continue with this pattern of thinking, it can lead to severe anxiety, stress or depression.
In solution focused hypnotherapy, we actively focus on the positive things that happen to us – no matter how big or small – to retrain our brains away from negative thinking. It’s hard at first, but with time and practice, it gets easier and easier. So start today – think about just three good things that have happened to you today. Perhaps you went for a walk, or got the children to school on time. Soon, you’ll find you have a long list of good things that happen to you each day, and you’ll start to realise, it’s not all bad.
And if you think you might need a bit of help to focus you – well then that’s where I can help you. Give me a call and book your free initial consultation to find out more about what we can do together to help you to be the best version of you possible.